Overwhelmed


I've had Overwhelmed by Perry Noble on my "want-to-read" list for awhile now, so I was really excited when I saw that it was free on Kindle for a limited time and downloaded it right away. The description for Overwhelmed sounds like it has a great premise: "Stressed out? Anxious? Overwhelmed? Good news—you’re not alone!

No one ever said life was going to be easy. Between financial struggles, marital issues, health scares, and the regular, run-of-the-mill problems of everyday life, it’s easy to feel weighed down and trapped by your circumstances. In times like these, it’s tempting to just throw in the towel and quit. Well, don’t do it!

Perry Noble has stood at the edge of the abyss himself, and in Overwhelmed, he shares the keys to unlocking the chains of anxiety and despair once and for all. Building on the premise that when we shift our focus from our circumstances to Christ, everything changes, Perry walks readers through a life-altering plan for overcoming stress, worry, depression, and anxiety so we can be free to enjoy the abundant, joy-filled lives we were created for.

God knows we’re frustrated. He knows we’re tired. He knows we’re struggling. But He also knows how things are going to turn out. He is greater than anything you are going through . . . so don’t give up on God. After all, He’s never given up on you."

I can definitely relate to all of this, so I couldn't wait to read the book. I deal with anxiety and worry problems, so I was hoping there would be a lot of take-away for me in these pages. Noble states that he's not going to give platitudes or quick fixes in this book, but he does at times. My main disappointment with this book is that it dealt mainly with depression, as opposed to worry and anxiety. The book description focuses on worry and anxiety, so it was a bit of a surprise that it focused so much on depression instead. I think this could be a decent book for people going through depression - it does have lots of Scriptures and some good tools. Also a minor concern, but the cover could definitely be more appealing. It's not a cover that would draw me to it in a bookstore. I'd recommend this book to Christians struggling with depression, but there are many other books out there that are better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?