Chasing Famous


Chasing Famous: Living the Life You've Always Auditioned For is actress and speaker Lisa Lloyd's first book. I could tell just from reading this book that Lisa is a dynamic, vibrant woman who really has a heart for God and desires to follow His will. The back cover says:

"Have you ever considered your life as an audition? Regardless of who or where we are, we are constantly, often unconsciously, auditioning for a part. Loving wife. Amazing employee. Crafting queen. Socialite. All we really want is to be loved, affirmed, and accepted. What if we could learn to live the life we have always been auditioning for without all the stress?
Chasing Famous is a redemptive book that teaches us how to take the focus off ourselves and shift it back on to the glory of God. Written by a professional actress who readily admits that she is the most self-centered person she knows, Chasing Famous provides practical and sometimes humorous examples of scriptural truth that will help you master the natural self-centered tendencies of life. Once you've mastered these issues, and you can, your story will turn the spotlight on God where, you'll soon discover, what it means to truly live."

I don't want to write a negative review, because I really like Lisa's personality and I didn't dislike the book. However, it was quite a difficult read for me and I had trouble getting through it. It wasn't a page-turner, cohesive book that really flowed. It was comprised of 20 fairly short, topical chapters and read more like a devotional. Each chapter tackled a different subject and was based on an acting theme (ie, The Cast List, Method Acting, The Go-See, Booking The Job, Love Scene, etc.). I found the acting theme tedious after awhile, which to be fair is not Lisa's fault! I'm just not terribly interested in acting, the stage, and Hollywood. However, there were some good gems inside this book. I found some chapters more relevant to my life than others. I appreciated the chapters on marriage and parenting, and I also liked her transparency in disclosing her turbulent teenage years and abortion. I can really relate to Lisa in a lot of ways and I appreciated that she told her story openly and honestly and didn't cover up her mistakes. Many Christian authors gloss over past sins or just vaguely hint at past problems and sins but won't name them or truly share their story. I really dislike that, and I loved that Lisa really opened up and was real throughout the book. I think this book would really appeal to anyone interested in acting. The bottom line of this book is that Lisa's goal in life is to make God famous, and she's passing along that challenge to the reader as well.

I received a copy of this book from Litfuse in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?

A Letter From Lancaster County