A Fierce Love


A Fierce Love: One Woman's Courageous Journey to Save Her Marriage by Shauna Shanks is an incredible picture of God's love, redemption, and plan for marriage. The book description says:

"Love is easy to give when you are getting it back. Are we still called to God’s plan of how to love when we are getting none in return? Shauna Shanks’s brave journey through obedience reveals the outcome of when we dare to follow God’s ludicrous outline for love as described in 1 Corinthians 13.

Wrecked with news of her husband’s affair and his request for a divorce, Shauna finds herself urgently faced with a decision. Does she give up and divorce her husband and move on, or does she try to fight for her marriage? The former choice seems to contradict God’s plan for how to love, such as “love never gives up,” “love is patient,” and “love is kind.”

Taking God at His word and assuming the love chapter was really meant to be followed literally word by word, she not only finds herself falling in love with her spouse again, but also falling in love with Jesus, which changes everything.

First Corinthians 13 presents an audacious, illogical, and irrational context of how to love, meant to be applied to every marital context not just the fairytale marriage. If God’s instructions seem illogical and audacious, you might just expect the same kind of results in return!

This book is not air-brushed. It was written in the midst of the author’s deepest trauma, and she purposefully did not edit out her mistakes and failures during that season. This book will resonate with women who do not feel like the picture-perfect Christian woman with the fairytale life and marriage.

A Fierce Love is the story of a train wreck and reaching out to God not in the calm but in the chaos and finding hope for the future."

Although I've never been in the situation of my husband cheating on me, I've definitely had ups and downs and trials in my marriage. Reading Shauna's incredibly heartfelt and no holds barred story was so touching. It moved my heart and really made me take a hard look at myself and how I behave toward my husband. I loved Shauna's "love filter" based on 1 Corinthians 13. Any wife can apply this "love filter" to their own marriage to make it better, regardless of what state it is in. I laughed and cried with Shauna as I traveled the journey with her from start to finish. I had trouble putting the book down and read it in just a couple of sittings. I especially enjoyed the chapter on spiritual warfare. Spiritual warfare is so overlooked by many Christians, but if we're not fighting the spiritual battle with God's weapons, we will never win the war. I highly, highly recommend this book to every wife out there.

I received a copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?

A Letter From Lancaster County