Stepping On Cheerios


Stepping on Cheerios: Finding God in the Chaos and Clutter of Life is Betsy Singleton Snyder's memoir of being an older mom of a toddler and then triplets in just 2/12 years, plus being married to an older man who happens to have been in the senate, and dealing with heart failure after the birth of her triplets. Oh, and she was a pastor, too. The back cover says:

"Being a mother isn’t easy. Sometimes it’s hard to experience a personal connection with God and community when you are caught up in the chaos of just “doing family”.

Independent and self-sufficient, author Betsy Singleton Snyder lived a full and busy life as a pastor, missionary, and wife to a husband who served in the U.S. House of Representatives. She had her first child at age 44, then at 47, she found out she was carrying triplets. Suddenly finding herself overwhelmed is an understatement.

Stepping on Cheerios is a collection of funny, warm, and charming tales from the frontlines of parenthood, written for women who are juggling to accomplish everyday feats of work, motherhood, marriage, church, and more. It’s a comical story of one woman’s realization that her crazy life is a gift and how she found the grace in it."

Stepping on Cheerios was a bit of an out-of-the-box read for me. I couldn't really relate to Betsy's life at all - I was a teen mom and had all four of my children by the age of 25. I married my high school sweetheart at age 18 and we are still married. Basically, I've lived my life backwards to Betsy's. Because of that, I wasn't sure how much I would be able to relate to this book or Betsy's struggles. However, I found myself really enjoying this book. Betsy's self-deprecating humor was refreshing and funny, and I liked how she put in biblical truths throughout the book without being heavy-handed or preachy. I did disagree with some of her theology (women pastors, infant baptism, skipping church because life is too crazy/busy), but I could overlook those to enjoy the wider story and message. I recommend this book to any mom in the trenches of life with young children.

I received a copy of this book from Litfuse in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Hiding in the Light