Sacred Privilege


Even though I'm not a pastor's wife, I wanted to read Kay Warren's new book, Sacred Privilege: Your Life and Ministry as a Pastor's Wife. Rick and Kay Warren have been so influential in Christian circles, and I've never read a book by Kay before. This was a unique opportunity to get a peek behind the curtain and see what life is like as such a prominent pastor's wife. The back cover says:

"Life as a pastor's wife offers meaningful opportunities to play a significant part in God's work, to witness and participate in the beauty of changed lives. Yet it also carries the potential for deep wounds and great conflict that can drain the joy out of service. Is it worth it? Oh, yes, says Kay Warren, wife of Pastor Rick Warren and cofounder of Saddleback Church. It is more than worth the risk--it's a sacred privilege.

Drawing on more than forty years in ministry in every possible size church, Kay provides encouraging principles and life lessons, along with intimate personal stories, that will give readers the confidence needed to lead and live well. Pastor's wives learn to

- accept who they are
- adapt to change
- help their children survive and thrive
- protect their private lives
- deal with criticism
- live with integrity
- develop an eternal perspective

Whether she is excited, struggling, or feeling broken and tired, every pastor's wife will find hope and encouragement for their calling in Kay's warm and wise words."

Although I'm not a pastor's wife, my husband and I are very involved in our church and church ministry, so I could relate to a lot of the things Kay writes, although on a much smaller scale. There were also many helpful tips, and really just a lot of wonderful scriptural and biblical truths and soak in. This was part memoir - Kay is so open about her life and struggles - and part self-help guide for the ministry wife. I was so encouraged by Kay's willingness to share truths about herself and being in the ministry, even when they're not always popular or might be embarrassing. I laughed and cried along with Kay and couldn't put this book down. I highly recommend it to every Christian woman.

I received a copy of this book from Revell in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?