A Mile Wide


A Mile Wide is the latest offering from popular author Jen Hatmaker's (For The Love, Seven, Interrupted) husband, Brandon Hatmaker. I've read Jen's books Interrupted and For The Love and really enjoyed them, so I was interested in reading a book written by her husband since I've never read anything written by him. I was also interested in the subject matter - I often struggle with having a deeper faith and feeling like my faith is too shallow or not impacting my life enough. The description reads:

"What if we’re just skimming the surface?

Christianity holds out the promise of a better way and a better day. So we’ve studied, joined more small groups, and checked all the boxes—yet, we’re still hungry for more. What if the gospel we’ve come to know is even deeper than we ever imagined? What if the same gospel that works in us to change us continues to work through us to change everything else?

Speaking from more than twenty years of experience working in the local church, Brandon Hatmaker leads us past the hurdles between our current lives and the lives we crave. He shows us how Jesus changes everything and how a greater understanding of the gospel leads to deeper faith, richer community, and more fulfilling purpose."

I had mixed feelings about this book. I loved its premise, and it's a quick and easy read. The cover design was sleek and engaging. I appreciated a lot of what Brandon had to say and agreed with much of it. I agree with the recent trend of turning the church outward to serve the poor and needy and accepting everyone. I completely agree with this. However, the dangerous edge of this message seems to be that we accept everyone as they are - and let them stay that way. I think it's extremely important to balance grace and truth and to not leave people unchanged or excuse, condone, or affirm blatant sin, which is what it appears Brandon and Jen have recently slipped into doing. I think this is a dangerous slippery slope that will lead the church astray. However, if you read this book with the right mindset there are many wonderful things you can take from it and apply to your personal life and your church. I recommend this book to Christians with just a slight caution to read carefully.

I received a copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers for the purpose of providing an honest, unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?