Night Driving


After reading Addie Zierman's first book, When We Were On Fire, I knew I'd want to read her follow up. Night Driving: A Story of Faith in the Dark is the story of a journey: Addie's physical journey on her road trip, and her spiritual journey finding her way back to faith. While I have some issues with the conclusions she draws in both her first book and this one, no one can deny that Zierman has a magical quality to her writing - once you pick up one of her books, you won't put it down until you're done. It seems like it's almost a trend lately to write edgy memoirs about how horrible it was to grow up in an Evangelical Christian home in the 80s/90s (while I'm rolling my eyes and wishing I was lucky enough to grow up in a Christian home, but I digress), but Addie does write an interesting and insightful story. The book description reads:

"In the emotionally-charged, fire-filled faith in which Addie Zierman grew up, the answer to this question was simple: Because you’ve FELT him.

Now, at age 30, she feels nothing. Just the darkness pressing in. Just the winter cold. Just a buzzing silence where God’s voice used to be.

So she loads her two small children into the minivan one February afternoon and heads south in one last-ditch effort to find the Light.

In her second memoir, Night Driving, Addie Zierman powerfully explores the gap between our sunny, faith fictions and a God who often seems hidden and silent.

Against the backdrop of rushing Interstates, strangers’ hospitality, gas station coffee, and screaming children, Addie stumbles toward a faith that makes room for doubt, disappointment, and darkness…and learns that sometimes you have to run away to find your way home."

First off, I absolutely loved the cover of this book. It's so powerful and perfect for the story. It made me want to pick it up right away. This is a short little book, and I basically read it in one sitting. I love how Addie intersperses spiritual introspection and struggles with the mundane tasks of being a wife and mom and going on a road trip. I could relate to some of what Addie expresses and feels in this book, and I felt like I was almost cheering her on by the end of the book as it drew to a close. I have to admit that I do tend to find her a bit filled with self-pity and that she tends to over exaggerate how "horrible" her circumstances are and how desperate she is to run away, but I feel like she overcomes this a bit by the end. I recommend this to anyone who has struggled with a faith crisis or enjoys reading memoirs.

I received a copy of this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Free

Unreasonable Hope

Reclaiming Hope