The Returning


I've enjoyed the Seer series by Rachelle Dekker, daughter of prolific and talented author Ted Dekker. This trilogy has included The Choosing (book one), The Calling (book two), and now, finally, The Returning (book three). I was excited that the last book finally came out so I could find out what happens to Carrington, Remko, Elise, and the other characters I've grown to love. The Returning occurs twenty years after book two, so a large gap of time has passed. The back cover says:

"They say the Awakening is coming.
That she’s the key.
But can she find her identity in the light
Before she perishes in the dark?

Twenty years have passed since Carrington and Remko Brant’s baby, Elise, was kidnapped and they were forced to leave her captive in the Authority City. Though they fled with the Seers far from Authority reach, they’ve never given up hope of rescuing their daughter from the man who betrayed them. Now Authority President, he’s ushered the city into a new era of “peace”―one where the Scientist Roth Reynard’s Genesis Serum has eradicated all memory of emotion or rebellion.

But the mysterious Aaron and his Seers are once again on the move, threatening the illusion the Authority has worked so hard to build. As the Seers send seven chosen warriors to rescue Elise and bring restoration to the Authority City, the lines are drawn for a final battle between light and darkness. The key to ultimate victory may rest within the strangely powerful girl who has felt forgotten but was never abandoned―a truth she’ll need to wage war against the powerful forces of evil."

Although I've enjoyed the entire Seer series, I have to say that the first book was my favorite of the series. It was the most twist-filled and exciting, in my opinion. The second book was almost as good, but didn't capture my attention quite as much as the first one. However, it definitely did pick up at the end when Remko and Carrington's infant daughter, Elise, was stolen by the Authority City. I was disappointed/excited that it ended on such a huge cliffhanger, knowing that I'd have to wait for the final installment, The Returning, to come out to find out Elise's fate. I was really surprised when I picked up The Returning and discovered that it takes place a full 20 years after Elise's kidnapping. Carrington and Remko are now middle aged, Elise is a grown woman, and they have another daughter, Kennedy. The book opens with them preparing to reenter the Authority City and rescue Elise reclaim the city in a battle for the ages. No spoilers here, but this is definitely a gripping story, although the fact that such a large time gap was skipped over made it hard for me to reconnect to the story at first. All in all, this is a satisfying conclusion to the Seer series. I hope that Rachelle has more stories up her sleeve for us soon!

I received a copy of this book from Tyndale Blog Network in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?