Control Girl


I don't think of myself as a controlling person in a typical way - I'm not the type of person who tries to control other people or other people's lives. However, I can be controlling in other areas of my personal life - my house, how things are run in the home, my personal life, etc. My tendency toward control tends more towards trying to keep my life under control, causing me to rely on myself to make my life perfect instead of trusting in God to work in my life in His will and His timing. Therefore, I thought Control Girl: Lessons on Surrendering Your Burden of Control from Seven Women in the Bible by Shannon Popkin might be a good book to read. The back cover says:

"Little fights with your husband and kids. Unhappiness when things don't match your version of perfect. Tension, anger, fear, anxiety--it all begins with a heart that craves control. When your perspective of how life should go replaces God's, you doom your quest for security, peace, and joy before it even starts.

Thankfully, there is a better way.

Join Shannon as she shares what she has discovered about her own control struggles and
about God from studying seven Control Girls in the Bible. Whether it was Eve's desire to know instead of trust, Sarah's inability to wait for God to move, or Rebekah's controlling hand on her family's future, each of these women's stories contain warnings and lessons for us today.

Learn how you too can lay down this burden of trying to control everything and find rest in surrendering to the One who truly is in control."

I absolutely loved Shannon Popkin's Control Girl. It was so easy and fun to read, with many examples and stories from Shannon's life that made me both laugh and cry. I could relate to many of Shannon's experiences and it really hit home. However, what I loved most about this book was that the entire thing was steeped in Scripture - each section gives a portion of the Bible to read before continuing with the lesson. Many contemporary women's "Bible study" books have one or two verses per chapter and then are filled with personal opinions, stories, etc. Shannon truly bases this entire book on the Bible and gives passage after passage to study on your own and through the book. I loved the seven examples of Biblical women given throughout the book - Eve, Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, Rachel, and Miriam, all women who tried to wrestle control away from God and intervene to make things happen their own way. I highly recommend this book/Bible study to every Christian women.

I received a copy of this book from Litfuse in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?