What Falls From The Sky


I was so excited to read Esther Emery's book, What Falls From The Sky: How I Disconnected from the Internet and Reconnected with the God Who Made the Clouds. I have a love/hate relationship with technology, social media, and the internet. I struggle with balancing screen time with real life time, but I use the internet so much less than many people I know. I see the people around me constantly on their phones and it's one of my biggest pet peeves. The back cover says:

"Esther Emery was a successful playwright and theater director, wife and mother, and loving it all - until, suddenly, she wasn’t. When a personal and professional crisis of spectacular extent leaves her reeling, Esther is left empty, alone in her marriage, and grasping for identity that does not define itself by busyness and a breakneck pace of life. Something had to be done.

What Falls from the Sky is Esther’s fiercely honest, piercingly poetic account of a year without Internet - 365 days away from the good, the bad, and the ugly of our digital lives - in one woman’s desperate attempt at a reset. Esther faces her addiction to electronica, her illusion of self-importance, and her longing to return to simpler days, but then the unexpected happens. Her experiment in analog is hijacked by a spiritual awakening, and Esther finds herself suddenly, inexplicably drawn to the faith she had rejected for so long.

Ultimately, Esther’s unplugged pilgrimage brings her to a place where she finally finds the peace - and the God who created it - she has been searching for all along.

What Falls from the Sky offers a path for you to do the same. For all the ways the Internet makes you feel enriched and depleted, genuinely connected and wildly insufficient, What Falls from the Sky reveals a new way to look up from your screens and live with palms wide open in a world brimming with the good gifts of God."

I loved What Falls From The Sky. It's a quick read that you can knock out in one sitting, and it's written blog-style. Esther is extremely raw and honest in her writing, and doesn't hold back, even what it comes to her flaws and shortcomings. She's also honest about her intentions and motivations for going without the internet for a year. Esther really inspired me to take stock of my own technology use and focus more on God. Everything she said resonated with me and really hit home. I often lament on how our culture is so technology-focused and I feel like it's negatively impacting us so much. I highly recommend this book to not just every Christian, but every human being.

I received a copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers in order to provide an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?