A Moonbow Night


I'll be honest: I initially selected the book A Moonbow Night by Laura Frantz because the cover was stunningly beautiful and the title was pretty and intriguing. I'd never read a book by Laura Frantz before, and the historical time period this book is set in (1170s Kentucky frontier) is not a genre I generally read/have ever read before. the back cover says:

"In an uncertain time, she faces a choice that will change her life forever

After fleeing Virginia, Temperance Tucker and her family established an inn along the Shawnee River. It's a welcome way station for settlers and frontiersmen traveling through the wild Cumberland region of Kentucke - men like Sion Morgan, a Virginia surveyor who arrives at the inn with his crew, looking for an experienced guide.

Though he balks when Tempe is appointed to lead his team through the wilderness, it isn't long before Sion must admit that her abilities may outmatch his own. But can the tenuous tie they are forming survive the dangers waiting just around the bend?

With her signature sweeping style and ability to bring the distant past to vivid life, Laura Frantz beckons you to join her in a land of Indian ambushes, conflicting loyalties, and a tentative love that meanders like a cool mountain stream."

The first couple chapters of A Moonbow Night started off a little slow for me, but once I figured out the characters and setting, I was able to really get into it. This wasn't a totally predictable book like many historical romances are, and I definitely appreciated that. I don't generally read "romance novels", but since this was more of a historical story than a romance novel, I really enjoyed it. I liked how Temperance and Sion both had suffered terrible losses and tragedies in their lives, but were eventually able to overcome these to take a second chance at life. I particularly liked the setting and how Frantz had so many historical details woven in, including many factual details of the life and family of Daniel Boone. Although this book is decidedly fiction, she's filled in details and stories around the known facts to create a rich and interesting story. I recommend A Moonbow Night to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

I received a copy of this book from Revell in order to provide an honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death

Can I Just Hide In Bed 'Til Jesus Comes Back?